Wednesday, August 15, 2007

IF I HAD A GOLDFISH, I WOULD TALK TO IT

IF I HAD A GOLDFISH, I WOULD TALK TO IT
by Jenny Drai


I would walk all night and eat through night yeah fuck the night. Swallow pills against the dimming light to keep my mind shored up alright.

I am standing in a corner of the water. I could say to keep myself calmer.

A goldfish in a kitchen tank dreams of fish in larger water, a river in a European city. Once I in fist caught up a compendium of scales and kissed.

Don’t worry about money, honey. I’ve scooped out an enchanted prince.

You’re the sea. Lovely beside me lulling my skin off in mouthfuls to thrumming silver. If I held the way, you’d be me.

I mean to say who is speaking breaks down in the kitchen where the light is sonorous and glowing. In a day there comes. All my pinpricks. I say to keep myself within the current. All my toes.

Squander pills all night to keep my mind shored up alright. Comes an evening spreading across the gardens of the European city. Sometimes I want all night to starve through night.

Could just once upon a time. I have to decide which princess I want to become. C’mon sunset, here we come. With the prince at the tailor’s the night before the ball. The suit must fit. Here’s the foamy white stallion. Here’s the wild.

I could be an eye a vessel your disguise a treatise tongues and look at me I’ve come undone. And undone is lovely in the skinny water shimmering past in warmth and draft.

Yes I had a fish once who turned into a prince. He bought me cocktails shoes and evening gowns. We existed in transaction. Mangoes roses. I think he loved me once.

No I’ll just lick my shoulder. Until I’ve got you kissed and sorted out enchantment. I’ll swear I’ve got some fish beneath.

I could run away in lapping water. You root among some corals in filtered bliss on a counter in the kitchen despite. I’m walking out within the night.

Beneath the silty scales are gills and lungs. We have got to get some money, honey. I put myself in the water and the sea alike.

No comments: